Government & Associations
Central-Epicure is an active member of the Fish and Seafood Association of Ontario, The Fisheries Council of Canada and through our appointment to the Technical Sub-Committee of SIPAC has been an advisor to the Federal Government on fisheries legislation for over twenty years.
Quality & Safety
Central-Epicure Food Products Ltd. is QMP (Quality Management Program) and HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) certified by the CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency.) We are also approved by the U.S. FDA (Food and Drug Administration) to export to the United States.
- Hazards Analysis. Potential hazards identified and measures to control these hazards are implemented. The hazard could be biological, chemical, or physical.
- Identify Critical Control Points. Critical control points such as cook temperatures are identified and controlled.
- Establish procedures to monitor the critical control points. Such procedures might include determining how cooking time and temperature should be monitored.
- Establish corrective actions to be taken when a critical limit has not been met.
- Establish procedures to verify that the system is working properly. For example – Testing temperature-recording devices to verify that they are working properly.
- Establish effective recordkeeping to document the HACCP system. This would include records of hazards and their control methods; the monitoring of safety requirements and the action taken to correct potential problems. Each of these principles must be backed by sound scientific knowledge. For example, published microbiological studies on time and temperature factors for controlling pathogens.
- FDA Seafood HACCP information
- CFIA HACCP information
- CFIA QMP information
- CFIA Approved Exporters to U.S. Search Tool (we are reference # 1813)
COR – Kosher
Central-Epicure Food Products Ltd. is a certified kosher fish plant, with the designation COR 7. This designation is supervised by the Kashrus Council of Canada and the Council of Orthodox Rabbis (COR).
To contact the Kashrus Council of Canada, call (416) 635-9550.
Fish are a great source of protein and healthy fats that will reduce your cholesterol and improve your health. The omega-3 fatty acids protect the heart and will even make you feel better and happier. It is well documented that those cultures that are dependant on fish as their main source of protein live longer and are less susceptible to heart problems. Canada’s Food Guide recommends at least two servings of fish each week. Smoked Fish is particularly good for you because it is baked rather than deep fried.
- CNN Article: Seafood trends: A health choice for dieters
- CNN Article: Heart experts’ advice: Eat more fish in a balanced diet
- HealthCastle.com: Can eating Salmon help lower your blood cholesterol?
- HealthAndAge.com: Omega-3 Fatty Acid
- Fish Seafood and Healthy Eating
- The New Low-Cholesterol Diet: Fatty Fish
- One of the Smallest Fish in the Sea Packs the Biggest Benefit for Your Heart.
- Catch the Healthy Benefits of Eating Fish